The
Old Woman and Her Pig: An Appalachian Folktale
Retold by Margaret
Read MacDonald
Read MacDonald
Illustrator: John
Kanzler
Publisher: Harper Collins
Copyright Date:
2007
# of Pages: 32
Genre: Folktale
I was excited to come
across another pig book in my quest to find traditional literature. I was interested
to see the low sticker price, and it wasn't until I got home to read it that I
discovered why it was marked so low.
The story starts off
with an old woman going to town to get a pig after coming across some change
she found on the street. She can’t get the pig to hop the fence, so she gets a
dog to bite the pig. The dog won’t bite the pig, so she gets a stick to hit the
dog. This process goes on way too long before there’s ever any resolution to
the point that it becomes terrible mundane. I would not suggest getting this
book.
The illustrator uses a
combination of digital and acrylic painting. His colors are very warm and
textures are very rounded and smooth. They weren’t anything terribly
impressive, but you could tell that the illustrations have to make up where the
story lacks.
If you really wanted to
use this in a classroom, you could use this as a project on sequences. I could
image someone using a large chart page to list and number each event, and then
have students trace back the events. You could also use this in a conflict and resolution
lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment