Poetry Speaks
Who I Am
Edited
by Elise Paschen
Series
Editor: Dominique Raccah
Illustrator:
David Gordon
Publisher:
Sourcebook Jabberwocky
Copyright
Date: 2010
#
of Pages: 176
Genre:
Poetry
I
spent a lot of time looking for a good poetry book with a recent copyright date
I could use. When I came across this book, I was attracted to the cover’s grungy
texture on the cover. It looked like a school notebook that has been drawn on. There
are 108 poems from different poets in this book that cover subjects that range
from death, love, race, animals, anger, and confusion. This book was a lot more
mature than the other books of poetry I’d read previously. This book would be
something that’s appropriate for sixth grade when a lot of these feelings and
emotions are really starting to take center stage in these students’ lives.
The
illustrations are done in computer graphic print and hand drawn with black ink.
Each page has this texture to it that’s very rough and splattered. The
illustrations are nothing more than doodles of figures like flowers, mouths,
and eyes. A couple of the pages have boarders drawn above them. In general
though, the illustrations are just there to give the book this feeling of a
doodled in personal notebook.
If you used this book
in your sixth grade class, you could use subjects that are newly relevant to
students in the class to begin discussions about things that are hard to talk
or write about. This book also comes with a CD with the poems read by the poets
accompanied by music. You could incorporate this into an audio center that
accompanies your library. In the back of the book, there are pages for students
to write their own poetry. I liked this feature a lot because it not only tried
to relate to students on a visual level, but it also was able to connect with
student’s sense of creativity.
No comments:
Post a Comment