Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Gruffalo


The Gruffalo
Author: Julia Donaldson
Illustrator: Alex Scheffler
Publisher: Puffin
Copyright Date: 2006
# of Pages: 32
Genre: Fantasy/ Poetry

            I’ve heard of this story before, it wasn’t until recently that I got a chance to read it. It’s a story about a mouse who is confront by different dangerous animals and each time the mouse declines going with the animals; he tells them that he’ll be dining with his friend the Gruffalo. Each time he keeps adding features to what the Gruffalo looks like until he finally meets a real gruffalo. The mouse tries to convince the Gruffalo that he –the mouse- is the scariest animal in the forest.
            The illustrator uses very bold lines with his drawings. I’m having trouble distinguishing the exact medium or finding it online, but I think it is colored pencils and oil painting. The texture is very rough and organic. The lines are curved and not jagged. The colors are very cool and light.
            There are tons of projects available on Pinterest and teacher blogs for this book. There are gruffalo word problems you and print off or buy and use in your classroom. You could have students try to put together, draw, and write about what they think the Gruffalo is going to look like before they get to the part in the story where you see the gruffalo. There are tons of available teacher resources that are themed from this book online.

No comments:

Post a Comment