Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Snakes


Snakes

Authors: Rachel and Jonathan Shelkh-Miller


Illustrator: John Woodcock
Publisher: Scholastic
Copyright Date: 2001
# of Pages: 64
Genre: Non-fiction
            What really caught my eye about this book when I was browsing down the aisles of Books-A-Million’s new children’s floor in Birmingham, Alabama, was how large and bold green the snake was sitting on the shelf. When I think of this book, I think back to a conversation I had when a student in my practicum class. Boys love snakes. I’ve yet to come across a boy that doesn’t, and when you ask them about nonfiction books they like to read, it’s always about really fast vehicles or creepy crawly things. This book is chocked full of the creepy-crawlies. It’s all about snakes, and from cover to cover you get tons of information on these amazing creatures. The great thing about this book that you could use in your classroom is the online database and CD that comes with the book, so you get tons of resources for your classroom.
            Most of the images you see in the book are photographs of snakes at different angles doing the various things snakes do. There are a few illustrations that appear to be done in color pencil. As a photographer’s husband, I could imagine how fun it would be to take shots of these animals up close and personal. I’m sure kids would really enjoy it too!
            You could introduce at any school age, but I think you’d get the most bang out of your buck with a 3rd for 4th grade class and up. You could do a lesson on habitats or reptiles. You could do a compare and contrast chart to another book of a certain type of mammal like pandas or something. Between the subject material and the online and offline digital material, the options for the classroom are broad. If I had to be honest with myself, I think I liked this book because, at the core of it, I’m a big kid who loves to read about odd and gross things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment