Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Langston's Train Ride

Langston's Train Ride
Written by Robert Burleigh
Illustrated by Leonard Jenkins
Published by Orchard Books, 2004
29 Pages
Non-fiction

      Langston's Trade Ride really caught my eye on the book shelf with it's vibrant cover art. The story tells the tell of a train ride of the famous poet Langston Hughes in the 1920's to meet his father who had abandoned him when he was a child. The words have a rhythm to them that you pick up on as you read unique to a lot of children's literature. I loved the paintings on each page that depict the emotion and setting though color and the hodgepodge of images that weave together with the story. 
     As the story progresses, you get a glimpse into the thought process of the then 18 year old Langston Hughes as he writes his famous poem "I've Known Rivers". It appears to Langston as he travels along the river in his train seat that he is part of a greater history of people who are "deep like the rivers".
     This book would be appropriate for ages preschool and up. Since story could be used in a classroom during Black History month or could be a great book to read prior to a poetry lesson. I really enjoyed it, and I would highly suggest this story to anyone who enjoys poetry, history, and art.

No comments:

Post a Comment